International Scientific Conference Geodesy and Cartography of Extraterrestrial Territories: the History and the Present, devoted to the 40th anniversary of the Lunokhod-2 rover mission
Перейти на русскоязычную версию раздела сайта
On February 12, 2013, the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography (MIIGAiK) is holding the International Scientific Conference Geodesy and Cartography of Extraterrestrial Territories: the History and the Present, devoted to the 40th anniversary of the Lunokhod-2 rover mission.
In 2011, the 40th anniversary of first mission Lunokhod-1 took place, and we are going to celebrate the 40thanniversary of the Lunokhod-2 rover mission in January of 2013. Although these events happened many years ago, they have still been attracting the interest of researchers. This is connected both with the revival of active lunar investigations and with the detection ofthe Lunokhod-1 rover in March of 2010 in space images taken by the American space vehicle Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) providing us with data of very high resolution (up to 20 cm per pixel).
As showed the studies of MIIGAiK experts, the results of mapping the territory along the Lunokhod-1 rover from the LRO newest data are to some extent comparable with the results of the mapping executed 40 years ago from the photo-television information received by the Simferopol Deep-Space Communications Center. They testify both the high quality of the work executed under the Lunar Rover Program and the capabilities of modern orbital surveying equipment. The importance of studying the scientific results obtained through the lunar rovers has increased due to preparation of the new Russian missions to the Moon (Luna-Globe and Luna-Resource). MIIGAiK is taking an active part in preparing the cartography support for these projects. Also in 2012, the European (ESA) and Russian (Roskosmos) Space Agencies signed an agreement on the joint project ExoMars.
The International Scientific Conference to be held in MIIGAiK is of essence in view of boththe 40thanniversary of the Lunokhod-2 mission and the preparation of the future Russian missions to the bodies of the Solar system, besides MIIGAiK graduates participated actively in processing lunar panoramic pictures. Now, in MIIGAiK within the limits of the investigations conducted by the Complex Laboratory for Research into Extraterrestrial Territories (MExLab),t raining of young experts whose working results have already beenapplied to planning the future missions to the Moon, Mars, Phobos, and other celestial bodies of the Solar system is conducted.
The Conference is going to discuss reports devoted to the history ofthe lunar projects, to geodesy and cartography of extraterrestrial territories, problems of modern studies of the Moon, Mars and other celestial bodies of the Solar system, as well as presentations on the topics of preparing and planning of the Russian projects and international space missions ("Luna-Globe", "Lunar-Resource", "ExoMars", "BepiColombo", etc.).
Among the prospective participants of the Conference there are representatives of the Russian Space Agency (RosKosmos), the European Space Agency (ESA), the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, the enterprises of the space-rocket branch (including direct participants of the space program), veterans of the Space-Rocket forces, including members of the Lunokhod-1 and Lunokhod-2 crews as well as MIIGAiK employees and students.
The Conference is conducted with the support of the Russian Foundation for Fundamental Research (RFFR).
Conference address: 4 Gorokhovsky Pereulok, Moscow, 105064 Russia, MIIGAiK (Conference hall).
Savinykh, V.P. - Chairman, President of MIIGAiK, Corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Academician of the International Academy of Astronautics, Academician of the Russian Engineering academy, Dr. Sci. Tech., Professor, Space Pilot of the USSR, twice the Hero of Soviet Union.
- V.A. Malinnikov, First Deputy Rector - Deputy Rector on Academic Work of MIIGAiK, Head, the Complex Laboratory for Research into Extraterrestrial Territories, Dr. Sci. Tech., Professor;
- I.P. Karachevtseva, Head of the Cartography Group, the Complex Laboratory for Research into Extraterrestrial Territories, Cand. Sci. Tech.
Members of the Program Committee:
- Marov, Michael Yakovlevich - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry named after V.I. Vernadsky of the Russian Academy of Sciences);
- Zelyony, Lev Matveevich - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Director, Institute of Space Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- Shevchenko, Vladislav Vladimirovich - Head, theDepartment of Research of the Moon and Planets, Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University;
- Jurgen Oberst (German Space Centre, DLR);
- Rene Pichel, Head of the ESA’s Permanent Mission in the Russian Federation.
Organizing Committee (MIIGAiK):
- V.B. Nepoklonov, Deputy Rector on Scientific Activity;
- I.P. Karachevtseva;
- V.G. Dovgan;
- I.E. Nadezhdina;
- A.E. Erzaulova (Secretary of the Conference).